Thursday, June 5, 2008

Serial Killers: Celebrities?


In my Media and Culture class, we discussed the phenomenon in which serial killers (murderers) are viewed as celebrities in U.S. Society. I had never really thought about it before, but it is pretty sick. In an article I found online, Serial Killers Are as American as Apple Pie - Why do we make serial killers into celebrities?, they discuss the interest people find in people who do terrible things. The author points out that the USA produces 85% of the world's serial killers (Holy SHIT!). People become fascinated by these sick individuals because they are living a life they will never experience (unless, they, themselves, decide to go on a killing frenzy!). 

People are fascinated by Paris Hilton because she has money and is living a lavish life, many could never experience. People hear stories about Charles Manson (one of the most famous serial killers of all time), and want more because it is something so far out from ordinary and something they, most likely, will not experience. 

America has banked on this idea. Many books, movies, documentaries, and television specials (media in general) have been created to share information and facts on serial killers. Is it wrong for people to want to know all about these individuals? Is it wrong for the media to provide people with information about this? 

I personally, have a fascination with serial killers. I do not idolize them or look to collect serial killer memorabilia. I tune in to programs that discuss serial killers, when broadcasted on television. Just because I do it, do I think it's right? No. I do admit that after watching these types of things, it upsets my stomach and I don't feel comfortable, but it is interesting. I just can't understand what could compel someone to do these horrible things and how some of them get away with it for so long. Somethings are better left unknown, but what's the fun in that?

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

You asked two very interesting questions: Is it wrong for people to want to know all about these individuals? Is it wrong for the media to provide people with information about this?

How would you answer those questions?

Also, remember to include at least one link in each blog post.