Friday, June 13, 2008

NEWSPAPERS: Will they be around in 10 years


We live in a time where all information we need, or could possibly want, is just a click away. As a part of the "Millennial" generation, I rarely pick up a newspaper, and let alone, can barely remember the last time I looked through one. Sometimes a newspaper may have been laying around and I flip through it to look at popular movie reviews, the weather, or comics (nothing of importance, I guess one could say). 

Would this be the same if the internet wasn't in existence? Everyday, I log into my Yahoo! account and the popular news stories cover the front page. I can click the articles and read into them more extensively. If I want to find out about a specific event, all I have to do is "search it" on Google. 

In an article, which I searched online, Newspapers: The Future by Frank Ahrens of the Washington Post, discusses the issue on how newspaper circulations are shrinking and newsprint costs have risen causing many of the nation's largest papers to re-evaluate their business. 

Since the price has gone up in printing, many newspapers have shrunk down their papers-- or mostly cater to their "electronic" paper. Most newspapers are able to survive through advertisements printed in their papers. The author of the article discusses, that online, when reading a paper, the ads are more vibrant and readers can have the option to click on the ads to obtain more information.

In my opinion, I feel that papers will still be printed in 10 years. But, I do think that the amount of papers printed will be very minimal or only sent to people with a paid subscription. I believe this because:  1.) newspapers are expensive to print, 2.) people are becoming more environmentally conscious, where it may be a waste of resources to print papers, 3.) news can be easily accessed through the internet with no cost to print, 4.) newspaper companies can continue to make a profit from advertisers, and 5.) news can be put out there more quickly on the internet without the time needed to print newspapers.

I believe our society is very comfortable with the fact that they can access any information with the click of the button. People enjoy the idea that they can obtain pretty much anything, including their newspaper, without even leaving their house. 


1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Very interesting. Good link.