Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Millennials



So, there is a name for us kids born between 1980 and 1995. I, being born in 1985, am titled as a "millennial". After watching a segment from the popular news program 60 Minutes, I have learned how the rest of society views my generation. 
I personally felt the assumptions of my generation were a little ridiculous, but I can see why older generations would feel this way. 

Things I agree with, from the program: 
1. We were raised to think we are special. 
2. We strive for a dream job- one where we enjoy what we are doing while also making lots of money.

Things I disagree with:
1. We need someone to teach us how to eat with a knife and fork
2. We need someone to teach us how to work
3. We need someone to teach us to cover up our tattoos (These things, are all common knowledge... people who believe all people of my generation are like this must be around some really dumb "millennials")
4. Want employers to send letters to our parents saying we are doing a great job. (What??)
5. A way to keep "Millennials" as employees is to offer napping and happy hours (what employer does this? And who expects this?)

So yes, we were raised to believe we are special, but mostly because our parents wanted for us what they never had. They want us to feel like we deserve the best, but I think finding it in ourselves rather than having it handed to us. I know some kids in my generation are spoiled, but not all. But what generation doesn't consist of spoiled individuals? My parents have raised me to believe that I have talents and that I am special, but they always pushed me to work hard to reach my potential. Their support has helped me push myself because they have made me believe that I can do anything I put my mind to. 

Check it out for yourself:

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

Good, but I wanted you to find one other online reference, other than the CBS report, and link to it.