Monday, June 30, 2008

How I Consume the Media


As I discussed in my last blog, I consume most of what I watch over my computer. I use websites such as Hulu.com & WatchTvSitcoms.com. Even some networks allow you to stream their shows straight from their websites. I personally think that this is a good way for company's to get their shows out there. Not all people can watch shows at their original airing time. This allows people to access and gain knowledge of the programs anytime of the day.

I, personally, have a video iPod, but I do not use it to watch videos. I use it for its main intention, to listen to music. My cell phone also plays video, but I use it only to text and talk to people. I feel that our society tries to mush together too many products into one thing. I like to keep it "simple". For instance, I use my camera to take pictures, I use my phone to talk, I use my iPod to listen to music. Different from these gadjits, the computer is something that has many sole duties-- internet, pictures, word documents, video, networking, etc. I feel there is not just one purpose of the computer and that's what makes it such a fundamental part of our society and how we do things.

It is crazy to me how much we all depend on computers. We can see that it is wiping out things that we used to frequent, such as record stores and bookstores. Most of us are Amazon people. We order our books online or-- we don't read paper books anymore, we read them digitally. Anyone heard of the Kindle. It is Amazon's new wireless reading device. Say good-bye to books, this thing allows you to receive any digital book under a minute so you can read it straight from the device. I don't know if this is a potential good or bad thing. Yes, it is nice that we won't be using so much paper. But, isn't it nice to have a hard copy on your shelf, something tangible. Who knows what this means for the future?!

1 comment:

Lilly Buchwitz said...

The post was supposed to be about how you consume *broadcast* media. You're all over the place, and not really saying anything specific about any media. Hulu -- what about it? Ok, it's a way for networks to "get their shows out there" but so what? I'm looking for a more thoughtful consideration; a more carefully formed opinion about an aspect of the media.